Saturday, October 26, 2019

XXVI: Healing

The first thing I noticed when I woke up this morning was that I was not in pain. I glanced down at myself, and the scar was still there, though it was once again the size it had been when it was only a wound from a spear. It was there, but it did not hurt, nor was it green in color.

I nearly wept.

The second thing I noticed was that Harper had fallen asleep in the chair she had placed beside me as I rested. She looked peaceful, her baseball cap tilted to cover her eyes and her denim jacket slung loosely over her chair.

I stayed in bed for a while longer until she woke up. For whatever reason, I wanted to wait for her.

Then, eventually, she woke up and saw my faded scar. She squinted in confusion for a moment. Then her eyes widened as she realized what had happened.

She asked how it happened. I asked her to bring Samuel downstairs first. When the two of them had arrived, I told them that the scar no longer ached at all and said that I believed they had helped me. They seemed confused. Accordingly, I explained that I believed the Forest's nature as a being of fear and distrust means that to deny it that paranoia is to reject the Forest itself.

Samuel asked how someone could do that intentionally. I told him that I am frankly completely uncertain as to how one might reject the Forest deliberately. I did, however, say that I fully intend on granting himself and Harper the protection they will need to heal their own scars.

Were the Forest still grasping me in its tendrils, I would almost worry that we have allowed ourselves to become prey for something stronger. I know the truth, however. Humans may be animals, but we are social animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment