Friday, October 4, 2019

V: Clan

I am staying with a group of others currently. They are not trying to pretend the Forest is not here and go on with their normal life like some people. Their homes have all been destroyed by this point, slowly torn apart by creeping moss that enters into cracks and holes and then grows larger, pushing apart floorboards and walls alike. Instead, they have torn down trees and used the wood to make rudimentary structures, allowing them to protect those too sick or too weak to protect themselves. Myself included, wounded as I was by a hunter only a few days ago.

They do not know I want to escape the Forest. This is for the best. People like them are terrified that the Forest's influence could be infectious, that it could spread outwards if anyone is allowed out of the Forest. They call themselves protectors.

I do not know if they are correct. If I leave the Forest, there is no telling if I might risk contaminating others. I have no physical wounds that I think would imply as much- the hunter's spear was, as far as I am aware, made of mundane stone. But the Fears do not work in such a simple way.

Could my quest to escape risk spreading the Forest's influence further? Would it even change anything, all-consuming as the Forest is?

I do not know. After all, to my knowledge, nobody has escaped yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment