Sunday, October 20, 2019

XX: Mary

Once more, Mary Geist stopped me in my tracks as I tried to leave shelter.

She was not Mary anymore, though. It was not Mary. It was only another hunter, with blood around its mouth and soil beneath its nails. It stared at me, and for a moment, I thought I saw recognition in its eyes.

I was not willing to let a hunter get the better of me this time, though. I knew what it was. I thrust an elbow into its face, and it stumbled backwards. It growled, bloody teeth and bloody nails alike bared as it rushed at me. I hastily drew a knife and stabbed it into the hunter's stomach.

There is no love in my heart for Mary Geist, but she did not deserve what happened to her.

Harper arrived soon after. She started to say something until her flashlight illuminated the hunter's corpse.

At that point, she fell silent.

I tried to explain, but I could not. Seeing Harper look so terrified of me made it hard to think.

After a while, Harper brought me inside. I fell asleep on the couch.

I dreamed of being hunted by wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment