Friday, October 4, 2019

IV: Elimation

I was given this phone by servants of something called the Manufactured Newborn. It was a being that entered our world through larvae in the form of pieces of technology, then absorbed all it could into itself, allowing its true form to grow as more and more larvae returned to the world that housed its true form.

In September, the Manufactured Newborn was destroyed, though I could not say who killed it or how. When it died, something else took its place: the Forest, an ancient enemy of both the Manufactured Newborn and of EAT. The Forest is a force of total regression, causing all within its choking grasp to revert back to primal ferocity.

EAT's influence has allowed me to evolve to such a point that the Forest cannot affect me as drastically as it might otherwise. I fear this will not last forever. In the meanwhile, though, I believe I should learn who I am- a difficult task when so many of my memories seem so foreign to me in retrospect.

I think the first step in discovering who I am is eliminating who I am not. I am not Alexis Ivanov or EAT in All Things. I am not a man or a woman. I am not a lover or a fighter.

Speaking of which, my lack of skill in combat could make the coming days much more difficult. Already, I have sustained wounds from a roaming hunter, forcing me to delay my escape from the Forest as I recuperate.

I will need to be smart about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment