Thursday, October 10, 2019

X: Maps and Plans

The sky seems darker now than it did when I was still Alexis. The clouds cast longer shadows, the sun is not as bright, the stars do not shine when night falls.

Forgive me. I feel worried lately. You see, I do not know how I will leave the Forest. I am trying to move in one direction for as long as possible and hope it will eventually take me out, but things do not seem to work like that here. You could walk for miles and still come back to a tree with a star you carved into it with a pocket knife at the start of your journey.

I would know.

Perhaps it is a matter not of physical distance but of emotional distance. That is how the Fears work, after all- EAT, the Forest, the Newborn, all of them work on the logic of nightmares and anxiety attacks. They do not work on the logic of physicists or mathematicians but of artists and authors.

But I cannot escape the Forest. I see its influence all around. There are bloody patches of moss and rotting fungal growths everywhere here. I cannot make my mind forget the animal ways people live here, even as I walk among the cowards who pretend they do not see the Forest and try to remain human through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment