Friday, October 25, 2019

XXV: A Branching Scar

I spoke with Harper today. I told her about the feelings I had regarding my lack of familiarity with the group and my difficulty trusting people. As I did so, I felt a sharp pain coming from my scar. My scar is always in a dull, aching pain, but when I spoke with Harper it grew so intense I could not breathe. I had to excuse myself before walking away and taking off my shirt to see the scar.

The scar was the same infected green as ever, but it covered more of my body than it had before, extending outwards in branches. As I panicked, the pain grew worse.

Harper came to find me when I started to scream.

She didn't have to ask what was wrong this time.

I only have the energy to write this down because Harper and Samuel brought me back to our home base, each lifting one side of a makeshift gurney through the open door, and stayed with me as I recovered.

They did not heal my scar. Nobody can do that anymore. As they watched over me, however, I remembered how kind people can be even to those who are all but strangers, and the wound grew smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment