Tuesday, October 29, 2019

XXIX: Burial

We buried the hunter last night. I only wish that I had been mourning Matthew Davies rather than fearful that we were wasting time.

I was terrified when I prepared to kill the thing that wore Matthew's face that the scar would start to ache.

And it did. As he died, my scar grew the same sickly green color it once had been, though it was not yet a network of branches extending across my belly.

I do not understand why. I was doing it to protect my friends, to ensure the safety of others. Did something inside me know I had done something wrong?

But I am not a fighter. I have said so in the past, and it is still true now. To kill is to go against my own desires regardless of the circumstances. The pain and fear it causes me feeds the Forest no matter what justification I can offer up.

I am only glad that my hesitation does not seem to have cost us the way out of the Forest. We have kept moving since burying Matthew, and we have yet to see the star-marked tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment