Monday, October 21, 2019

XXI: Run Away Together

A while after I woke up earlier today, Harper asked me what was wrong. She and I were both outside, out of view of anyone else. So I pulled up my shirt for her to see my scar, and her eyes widened. She took off her leather jacket and rolled up the right sleeve of her shirt. There was a sickly green scar beneath.

We stared at each other for several moments. Eventually, she shook her head and asked if it hurt. I told her it only hurt sometimes.

(That was a lie. The scar has hurt ever since it went green.)

We are leaving together tomorrow. Not tonight, when everyone else is asleep, but tomorrow. It will hurt, but I want the others to know why I am leaving. If any others there have a scar infected with the Forest, they can come with us.

Wherever it is we decide to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment